The new meeting experience changes the functionality of the meeting providing new options such as increasing the number of people visible on the screen and creating the meeting in a popup.
1) In the upper right of your downloaded teams app click on your face or initials icon
2) From the menu that appears select Settings
3) Scroll to the Application section
4) In the Application section click the box next to Turn on new meeting experience (New Meetings and calls will open in separate windows. Requires restarting Teams)
5) Close the Settings window
6) You will now need to Quit the Teams app. On the Windows Taskbar or the Mac Doc Right click on the Teams icon and choose Quit from the menu.
7) Once Teams has closed, reopen the app.
What happens after you’ve turned it on
After turning on the new experience and restarting Teams, the biggest thing you’ll probably notice is that any calls and meetings will pop out into their own window, separate from the main Teams window. Like this:
If you’re still seeing calls and meetings in the main Teams window after turning the setting on and restarting, go to your profile pic again and select Check for updates. Once that is done, do the same quit and restart procedure per above. That should do the trick.
But wait, there’s more
Here are the other new things you’ll see and can try out:
Here’s what it looks like—pretty cool to see all those faces!
Together mode is available when 5 or more participants are sharing video.