What are the safety and security challenges faced by schools, colleges, and communities? Leaders in education, public safety, and local government will come together at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017, to examine these and other issues around safety in our communities. This event, moderated by Dean Andrew Wall and Professor Annie Knox from the U of R School of Education, and Sgt. Daniel Marmolejo of Redlands High School’s Department of Public Safety, will be held in the Casa Loma Room on the University of Redlands campus. The public is welcomed and encouraged to attend.
This is the second year of the symposium, which was first planned after several acts of violence in schools, campuses, and communities, said Dr. Jose Lalas, director of the Center for Educational Justice at the University of Redlands.
"We have added demonstrations and counter-demonstrations as a precautionary topic this year, given the current broader societal reality."
San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan, who is a Redlands alumnus, said, "Safety and personal security are oftentimes something that we take for granted living in a relatively safe community. However, at some point, it becomes a concern for everybody and when that happens, having a plan and being prepared is important. I applaud the University of Redlands for hosting this summit and engaging all of our stakeholders on this very important topic.”
Other officials scheduled to participate include:
· Chief Mark Garcia, Redlands Police Department
· Fire Chief Jeff Frazier, Redlands Fire Department
· Mayor Paul Foster, City of Redlands
· Chief Jarrod Burguan, San Bernardino Police Department
· Chief Jeff Talbott, University of Redlands Department of Public Safety
· James Ramos, San Bernardino County Supervisor and U of R Trustee
· Mauricio Arellano, Superintendent, Redlands Unified School District
· Ted Alejandre, San Bernardino County Superintendent
· Dr. Scott Wyatt, San Bernardino Unified School District Board Member
· Dr. Sam Buenrostro, Deputy Superintendent, Corona-Norco Unified School District
· Chief Christopher Ford, Riverside County Sheriff’s Department
· Paul Jessup, Riverside County Schools Deputy Assistant Superintendent
· Deputy Chief Rod Torres, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
· Chief Joe Paulino, San Bernardino City Unified School District Police